CONTENTSArticle 1. Name
Article 2. Objectives
Article 3. Membership
Article 4. Site of the Secretariat
Article 5. Governing Bodies
- Council of National Delegates
- Executive Board
- Advisory Board
Article 7. Congresses
Article 8. Voting
Article 9. Notice of Proposed Changes of the Constitution and By-Laws
Article 10. Dissolution and Liquidation
- Termination of Membership
- Congress Attendance
Constitution Of The Asia Pacific Pediatric Association (APPA)
The name of this Association shall be "The Asian Pacific Pediatric Association" (APPA). The Association was formerly known as the Association of Pediatric Societies of the Southeast Asian Region (APSSEAR). APPA shall be affiliated with the International Pediatric Association (IPA).2. Objectives
The objectives of the Association are the same as those of the IPA, with particular reference to the countries in the Asian and Pacific region and surrounding areas.3. Membership
Membership shall be composed of the national paediatric societies of nations located in the Asian and Pacific region and surrounding areas. Eligibility for membership shall be determined in accordance with the policy of the IPA.
There shall also be Affiliate Societies, which shall include regional federations or associations and regional societies of paediatric specialties.
Applications for membership shall be made by National Delegates officially appointed by the national societies and shall be lodged with the Secretary-General at least six months before the Council Meeting during which they will be considered.
Applications for the status of affiliate society shall also be submitted to the Secretary-General at least six months before the Council Meeting at which they are to be considered, and shall be accompanied by a copy of the Constitution and By-Laws of the proposed affiliate society.
Termination of membership shall also be decided at the Council Meeting.4. Site of the Secretariat
The APPA Secretariat shall be located in a city decided upon by the Council of National Delegates. Historically, the initial secretariat of APSSEAR was in the city of Manila, Philippines. The location of the secretariat will be in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.5. Governing Bodies
A. Council of National Delegates
Power to formulate the policies of the APPA shall be vested in a Council of National Delegates, consisting of one delegate from each Member-Society. Where there is more than one delegate from a country, each delegate may speak in the discussions, but only one shall have the right to vote. The President of APPA shall preside.
Other members of the Executive Committee, the members of the Advisory Board and one delegate from each affiliate society shall also attend the Council meetings and may participate in the discussions but may not vote (unless the same person is also the National Delegate).
The Council shall meet at the time of each Asia Pacific Congress of Paediatrics or any other meeting as decided by the President and Secretary-General.
The functions of the Council are:
- To receive and consider the reports of the President and of the Secretary-General, and the financial statement prepared by the Treasurer.
- To determine the location of the next Asia Pacific Congress of Paediatrics.
- To elect the President, the President-Elect, the Secretary-General and Treasurer.
The Deputy Secretary-General will be appointed to assist the Secretary-General.
- To appoint members of the Advisory Board from nominations for members and affiliation and on termination of membership.
- To rule on applications for membership and affiliation, and on termination of membership.
- To plan the basic programme for the next period of APPA.
- To revise the Constitution and By-Laws of APPA, in accordance with Article8.
- To deal with any matter which may properly be brought before the Council by a Member Society.
There shall be an Executive Committee, consisting of the following officers of the Association:
- A President.
- A President-Elect (who shall be the person who is appointed as the President of the forthcoming Congress, and who shall act as Vice-President until the time of that Congress, when he/she will automatically become the President of the Association).
- The Immediate Past President.
- A Secretary-General (who shall be the Executive Officer of the Association, and to whom the Executive Committee may delegate its functions to the extent necessary for the smooth running of the Association.
- A Deputy Secretary-General (who shall assist the Secretary-General in all matters related to the running of the Association).
- Treasurer (who shall be responsible for the finances of the Association, shall work in close cooperation with the Secretary-General, and shall submit a triennial financial statement to the Council of National Delegates).
The functions of the Executive Committee shall be:
- To carry out the policies of the APPA
- To assist the President of the forthcoming Asia Pacific Congress of Paediatrics with its preparation
- To recommend the budget of APPA to the Advisory Board for approval
- To refer to the Council applications for membership from prospective Member Societies and Affiliate Societies and
- To exercise such authority as may be delegated by the Council or Advisory Board.
C. Advisory Board
There shall be an Advisory Board consisting of one person from each Member-Society, nominated by the National Delegates and approved at a meeting of the Council. The term of the office shall be from the end of one congress to the end of the next. No individual shall serve for more than two terms in succession.
The functions of the Advisory Board are:
- To consider applications for membership of the Association and to make recommendation to the Council of National Delegates, regarding the admission of Member-Societies
- To advise the Executive Committee on the policies of the Association and the general planning for regional congresses and
- To scrutinise the budget and accounts of the Association and to appoint an auditor.
The post of Honorary President shall be given to outstanding individuals who have contributed significantly to the Association, and to paediatrics and child health in the Asian Pacific region. Proposals for the appointment of prospective candidates will be forwarded to the secretariat at least three (3) months before a meeting of National Delegates to be held at the triennial Asia Pacific Congress of Paediatrics. Proposals will be discussed and decided upon at this meeting.7. Congresses
The Asia Pacific Congress of Pediatrics will be organised every three (3) years at a venue as decided by the Council of National Delegates. The Congress shall consist of the following activities:
- Activities in the field of science, and
- A Council Meeting of National Delegates
The Chairperson of the Congress shall determine the date of the Congress after consultation with the Executive Committee and the Council for International Organisations of Medical Sciences (CIOMS).
The programme and publications of each Congress shall have the authority to appoint such committees as are necessary for the conduct of the Congress.
The national Member-Society of the country in which the Congress is to be held should assume full responsibility for its organisation and financing and for such arrangements as are necessary with the government of the host country.8. Voting
To revise the Constitution and By-Laws, a two-thirds majority vote in the Council Meeting of National Delegates is needed. A simple majority vote in the Council Meeting of National Delegates shall be valid for all other matters.9. Notice of Proposed Changes of the Constitution and By-Laws
Notice of any proposals to revise the Constitution and By-Laws shall be sent to the Secretary-General not later than six months, prior to the next Council Meeting of National Delegates, and must appear in the Agenda of the Council Meeting.10. Dissolution and Liquidation
- The decision of dissolution shall be taken only on majority vote of at least two-thirds of the Members
- In case of dissolution, the Council Meeting shall decide on the disposition of the assets of the Association, and shall elect the persons to be charged with carrying out of the liquidation.
- Dues - dues for Member-Societies shall be recommended by the Executive Committee and approved by the Council of National Delegates. They shall consist of a fixed sum for each Member-Society and affiliate society. Dues shall be payable in advance, at the least latest on the 31st of January of each year. Non-Payment of dues for two years will automatically suspend membership until a final decision is made by the next Council Meeting.
If a Member-Society, under exceptional circumstances, has difficulties with the transfer of the dues to APPA, these may be paid to a bank in the respective country in the local currency and be placed at the disposal of the Secretary-General.
- Finance - the Executive Committee shall control the monetary funds of the Association determined for its needs and for its programme of activities.
These funds will consist of annual dues of its members, subsidies, gifts, legacies, and any support given to the Association, whether by its own members or by persons or institutions outside of the Association; the acceptance of such support shall be approved by the Executive Board.
- Termination of Membership - Non-payment of dues by a Member-Society or affiliate society for two years shall automatically suspend membership until a final decision of the Council of National Delegates is taken at its next meeting. Membership may also be terminated by decision of the Council.
- Congress Attendance - Attendance at the Congress shall be open to any interested individual on payment of registration fee.
- 5.1- The Executive Committee shall meet at least once between each Council Meeting, and at other times if considered necessary by the President. The presence of three members shall comprise a quorum.
- 5.2 -The Advisory Board shall meet with the Executive Board and the Council of National Delegates one day before the opening of the Asia Pacific Congress of Paediatrics. The APPA President shall preside at the meeting. A report will be presented by the President and by the Secretary-General, and a financial statement by the Treasurer. After these reports and financial statement have been approved, the new President shall take office.
- 5.3 - The Council of National Delegates shall have its business meetings at the time of each Congress. The new President of APPA shall preside the meeting.
- 5.4 - Asia Pacific Regional Congress. Invitations for the next congress from the President of the National Society, with a governmental endorsement, must be in the hands of the Secretary-General at least three months before the coming Congress. These will be considered carefully by the Advisory Board, which will make its recommendation to the Council of National Delegates, which has the final decision as to the location of the next Congress.
6. Languages - The official language of the Association shall be English.